BIBLE STUDY Join us Wednesdays
10:00am – 11:30am on ZOOM
ALL ARE WELCOME
A LAPTOP/IPAD/SMART PHONE IS NEEDED TO ZOOM
Email: [email protected]
PLEASE JOIN US!
PANORAMA OF THE OLD TESTAMENT BEGINS FEB 10
How do I fit into the Great Story of God and humanity?
Is my life molded and shaped by this inspired literature?
"The New Testament lies hidden in the Old, and the Old Testament is unveiled in the New."
HOW TO STUDY THE BIBLE
1. Pray before you begin...ask the Holy Spirit to open your mind and heart as you read the scripture. (see prayer below)
2. Use the same Bible each time. The New American Bible, revised edition or The Jerusalem Bible are good choices.
Using an actual book allows you to underline and date the times you study. I've put down the place and why/who I am studying/praying for.
3. Read slowly and keep a note pad near to write down distractions, ideas to contact or help another.
4. Read the footnotes for more information. They often point to other scriptures that relate to the passage you are studying.
5. Practice Lectio Divina - read again slowly and underline the words that resonate with you. Put yourself into the passage. Ask Christ to help you understand why those words resonate at this time.
Prayer of St. John Chrysostom
O Lord Jesus Christ, open the eyes of my heart that I may hear your word, and understand and do your will, for I am a sojourner upon the Earth.
Hide not your commandments from me, but open my eyes that I may perceive the wonders of your Law.
Speak unto me the hidden and secret things of your wisdom.
On you I set my hope, O my God, that you shall enlighten my mind and understanding with the light of your knowledge;
not only to cherish those things which are written, but to do them.